Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission is planning to do away with optional in mains examination. It is planning to conduct state civil services mains examination on the verse of Maharashtra Public Service Commission. Maharashtra Public Service Commission has amended its mains syllabus where instead of two optional papers, six compulsory papers have been introduced. Maharashtra Public Service Commission has introduced these Compulsory papers in the mains examination:
- ENGLISH (150 MARKS: SUBJECTIVE)
- MARATHI (150 MARKS: SUBJECTIVE)
- GENERAL STUDIES 1: HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY (150 MARKS: OBJECTIVE TYPE)
- GENERAL STUDIES 2: INDIAN CONSTITUTION AND INDIAN POLITICS AND LAW (150 MARKS: OBJECTIVE TYPE)
- GENERAL STUDIES 3: HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT AND HUMAN RIGHTS (150 MARKS: OBJECTIVE TYPE
- GENERAL STUDIES 4: ECONOMY AND PLANNING, ECONOMICS OF DEVELOPMENT AND AGRICULTURE, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT (150 MARKS: OBJECTIVE TYPE)
It is possible that UPPSC will follow this pattern with some changes. Instead of English and Marathi, General Hindi and Essay might be added in the state civil services syllabus. However, it is too early to say when this pattern will be followed. Discussion is still in the early stage. Since UPSC is also planning to change the pattern of civil services mains examination, obviously almost all the state public service commission will follow that pattern with some changes. UPPCS has already changed the pattern of preliminary examination. It has introduced aptitude test in the line with UPSC civil services examination.